California's Leading Employment Law Event
October 7-9, 2019 | Los Angeles, CA
HR Comply California (formerly the California Employment Law Update, or CELU) is the state’s leading HR law conference. The superior content, delivered by labor and employment attorneys, will help you get ahead of workplace policy updates with a one-stop, comprehensive overview of breaking state-specific and federal updates and proven best practices for complying with California’s strict requirements.
Who Should Attend:
• Senior HR professionals who need to know what’s on the forefront of workplace law so they can ensure future business success
• HR professionals seeking actionable guidance on complex workplace management issues.
• HR managers who must manage risk and ensure compliant policies and procedures.
• HR practitioners looking for an overview of the laws that impact their work and for an expert to answer their questions.
Access Insider Updates on New Regulatory Activity
Network and Ideashare with Peers and Practicing Experts
Earn Recertification Credits Towards Your Professional Advancement
Create a Powerful Action Plan to Protect Your Brand and Bottom Line
Attend to Access Proven Strategies for:
- Preventing sexual and other harassment claims
- Accurately managing overtime compensation, travel, and on-call and more under FLSA and DSLE rules
- Mitigating intermittent and reduced-schedule leave to curb FMLA/CFRA abuse
- Legal employee drug testing policies – including employer limitations and rights concerning marijuana in the workplace
- Determining how and when to use arbitration agreements in California
- Updating your employee handbook to comply with the latest state and federal legal and regulatory developments
- Complying with the new Immigrant Worker Protection Act (AB450) to avoid civil penalties of up to $10,00 per violation
- Avoiding state and federal tripwires when terminating employees in California
- Ensuring your job applications don’t violate AB 168’s ban on salary history inquiries
- And more!
Pricing & Deadlines
Have a group of 5 or more? SAVE 20% with our group discount rate!
Become a 2019 Sponsor Partner
Our team of event liaisons would be happy to help you with your registration so your experience is as smooth as possible. Contact them now and they will get you set up in just 5 minutes!
View Our 2019 Program Agenda!
|7:30 am – 8:30 am||Continental Breakfast|
|Choose from Full and Half-Day Workshops:|
|8:30 am – 4:30 pm||(Full Day) FMLA/CFRA Master Class: California Advanced Skills for Employee Leave Management|
|8:30 pm – 11:30 am||(AM Only) Opioids and Marijuana in CA: Employer’s Rights and Responsibilities When Hiring, Disciplining, and Terminating|
|12:00 pm – 1:00 pm||*Lunch on your own|
|1:00 pm – 4:00 pm||(PM Only) Wage and Hour Audits: The Most Costly Trouble Spots to Find and Fix Before the DLSE or Feds Do|
|7:00 am – 7:55 am||Registration & Continental Breakfast|
|7:55 a.m. – 8:00 a.m.||Welcome Remarks|
|8:00 am – 9:15 am||Hot Topic Lightning Round Talks
HR Comply CA kicks off with three dynamic and timely talks tackling some of the most interesting workforce challenges facing California employers right now.
|Toxic Personalities at Work: How to Make Legally Sound Decisions about Performance Improvement and Discipline
8:00 – 8:15 a.m.
|Blockchain: The Top Uses for HR and the Legal Risks to Watch Out for
Presented by: Usama Kahf, Esq. Fisher Phillips LLP
|Independent Contractor or Employee? The Practical Impact of Dynamex and Key Considerations if AB 71 or AB 5 Become Law
8:55 – 9:10 a.m.
Presented by: Marc Jacuzzi, Esq., Simpson, Garrity, Innes, & Jacuzzi, P.C.
|9:15 – 10:30 am||On the Record: Inside Look at How the Latest California and Federal HR Laws, Court Rulings and Regulations Impact Recordkeeping and Workplace Policies|
|Presented by: Cathleen Yonahara, Esq., Freeland Cooper& Foreman LLP|
|10:35 – 10:50 am||Networking and Refreshments Break|
|10:55 am – 12:10 pm||Paid Family Leave, Sick Time and PTO: How to Ensure that Your Policies Line Up Under Existing and Proposed California Laws|
|Presented by: Marc Jacuzzi, Esq., Simpson, Garrity, Innes, & Jacuzzi, P.C.|
|12:10 pm – 1:10 pm||Networking Lunch|
|1:10 pm – 2:25 pm||Dollar for Dollar: What You Should—and Shouldn’t Do—to Ensure Pay Equity and Avoid Gender Discrimination Claims under Title VII and FEHA|
|Presented by: Christopher W. Olmsted, Esq. of Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.|
|2:25 pm – 2:40 pm||Networking and Refreshments Break|
|2:30 pm – 3:45 pm||Attracting Top-Tier Talent: How to Cultivate a Competitive and Compliant Sourcing, Advertising, and Vetting Strategy|
|Presented by: Phillip Maltin, Esq., Raines Feldman LLP|
|4:00 pm – 5:15 pm||Disability, Leave, and Lactation Accommodation Requests: Your Duties and Rights under ADA/FEHA, FMLA/CFRA, AB 1976, and Other Applicable Laws|
|Presented by: Kelly Gemelli, Esq. Jackson Lewis P.C.|
|5:15 pm||Day 1 Adjourns|
|7:00 am – 8:00 am||Continental Breakfast
|7:30 am – 7:45 am||Breakfast & Learn: HR and Safety Compliance and Training Tools Demos (Cortez II)|
|Bring home the information that you learned here with HR and Safety compliance and training tools.|
|8:00 am – 9:00 am||New Challenges in Defending Sexual Harassment Claims: How to Avoid Hostile Work Environment Claims under FEHA and Foster a Culture of Respect to Minimize Risk|
|Presented by: Kelly O. Scott, Esq., Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP|
|9:10 am – 10:25 am||Job Descriptions: Key Drafting and Updating Strategies to Protect Your Organization Against Legal Liability|
|Presented by: Danielle Moore, Fisher Phillips LLP|
|10:25 am – 10:45 am||Networking and Refreshments Break|
|10:45 am – 12:00 pm||Putting FMLA/CFRA Certifications to Work for You: How to Effectively—and Legally—Combat ‘Monday/Friday’ Syndrome and Intermittent/Reduced-Schedule Abuse|
|Presented by: Michelle Lee Flores, Esp., Akerman, LLP|
|12:00 pm||Conference Closes|
Venue and Accommodations
Doubletree Los Angeles Downtown
120 South Los Angeles Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Reservation Center: 1-800-HILTONS and referencing BLR Events